University of Dubuque

UD Headline News
UD News Search
  View Archived News Articles:
Select A Year
2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003
October 16, 2006
University of Dubuque Dedicates Charles and Romona Myers Center


On Saturday morning, October 28, the University of Dubuque will officially dedicate the new Charles and Romona Myers Center. The ceremony will begin at 9:30 a.m. in Steffens Hall of Myers Center. A reception and tours of the building will follow.

Ground was broken on the $9 million facility on September 7, 2005 as part of the 2005-2006 academic year's Opening Convocation. Dr. Charles C. Myers, a life member of the Board of Trustees, and his wife, Romona, an honorary alumna of the University, made this generous, multi-million dollar commitment to help their alma mater further its pursuit of the excellence in scholarship and academic inquiry called for in the University's Mission statement.

"There are not words enough to thank Charlie and Romona for this wonderful gift," stated University President Jeffrey F. Bullock. "Seven years ago, at a critical time in the University's history, this couple made a decision of faith to invest in UD that resulted in the building of the Charles C. Myers Library. This pivotal inspirational gift helped to launch the University on our transformation journey. Their new gift - that has made Myers Center possible  is another awe-inspiring mile-marker as our community travels along the adventurous trails that our Mission has laid out for us."

In 1964 Charles Myers began his own company - Superior Insulation Company. The company insulated cold storage warehouses, wholesale grocers, meat packing and processing facilities and by 1983 was listed by Inc. Magazine as one of the top 100 fastest growing companies in the United States. In 1968 he formed Freezer Services Corporation, a cold storage warehousing and food distribution company. Both firms were sold in 1998. Today, Myers serves as CEO of the Omaha-based Myers Group, with interests in aviation, real estate, and land development.

"Romona and I have faith in the great good that the University of Dubuque is doing," commented Charles Myers. "We have seen that our gifts have made much-needed facilities possible, and we've experienced so much joy as we've observed students, faculty, and staff studying and working in them. Our investment in our alma mater is also an expression of our personal thanks for and commitment to President Bullock and the team of people - faculty and staff - who are moving our school toward a productive and exciting future, a future which we're thrilled to be part of."

The Charles and Romona Myers Center, completed in September 2006, has added much needed classroom and office space to the campus. The 44,000 square foot facility is located on the southeast corner of the Grace/Bennett Street block. The exterior of the three-story building is designed to be reminiscent of Steffens Hall, the University's Old Main building, that anchored the University's North Campus in 1906, and that was razed in the early 1980s. Architectural elements that are employed across the entire campus - brick and precast stone construction, steeply gabled, red tile roofs, connecting arches, and circular window configurations - are reflected in the exterior of this new construction. Inside, a semi-circular staircase that was a central feature of Steffens Hall, and grand hall - named Steffens Hall - with a vaulted ceiling reaching 40 feet, are two of the focal points of the interior of the building. A boutique, Romona's, will feature a line of University apparel from Land's End and the work of local artists among other items. A formal dining room named to honor former University President Dale D. Welch [1935-1947] is also located adjacent to Steffens Hall.

Designed to be light, airy, and conducive to teaching and learning, the building houses classrooms, group study rooms, a seminar room, informal study nooks, and a 132-seat auditorium as well as administrative and faculty offices. The President's Office, as well as the Wendt Center for Character Development, is located in the building.

The dedication ceremony is free and open to the public.