UD Names South Campus Facilities
Oct 12, 2004 | University of Dubuque Theological Seminary
On Saturday, October 9, the University of Dubuque dedicated its South Campus. The ceremony took place at 10:00 a.m. on the football practice field overlooking University Park Village, as a part of the University's 2004 Homecoming activities.
Located on the South Campus, adjacent to Collins Street, Seminary Village was completed in the fall of 2001. The townhouse development consists of 32 three-bedroom, two-bath units in a park-like setting on the South Campus. Each townhouse includes a full basement, a fully-equipped separate study, and a single car garage. Other amenities include a tot-lot or children's play area for use by seminary families as well as neighborhood children.
These homes for the seminary community were made possible as a result of generous gifts from alumni, friends, congregations, and foundations including:
Butler Family Foundation (Dubuque, IA),
Mr. Thomas O. Cooper in memory of Lois C. Cooper (Jefferson, IA),
The Estate of Mrs. Nyle E. Ellson (Marion, Iowa),
The Ferguson Foundation (Hudson, Ohio),
First Presbyterian Church (Waterloo, IA),
Dr. and Mrs. Maynard Ukena (Ames, IA),
Clair and Jean Parker (Waterloo, IA),
Second Presbyterian Church (Indianapolis, IN),
The Estate of Edward P. Stauss (Dubuque, IA),
Westminster Presbyterian Church (Dubuque, IA),
Westminster Presbyterian Church (Des Moines, IA),
An anonymous gift in the memory of Charles A. Kintzinger,
and other anonymous donors.
University Park Village
The University Park Village consists of six buildings designed as a living and learning community for graduate and upperclass students. The structures are built into the campus' sloping topography and have walk-in access on two levels. The first set of three buildings, completed in the fall of 2003, contains three levels with two, four-bedroom apartments on each level. The second set of three buildings are four stories high, and include five bedrooms per apartment. Each apartment's amenities include environmentally-friendly geothermal heating and cooling systems, a full kitchen, living room, dining room, and two full bathrooms. Additionally, each building has its own laundry facilities, and two of the six buildings houses a large community room, used for student life and academic programming.
The first set of three buildings is being named to honor the following individuals:
Edward and Shirley Babka
As a member of the Board of Trustees for more than 30 years, Edward Babka, along with his wife Shirley, have given generously of their time, talent, and resources to the University and to other organizations and causes throughout the Dubuque area. They have both served on the board of numerous community organizations. Their efforts have helped make Dubuque a better place to live and raise a family.
Edward and Shirley have made a difference in the lives of many individuals and families. In recognition of their service to the community, in 1993 the Tri-State Chapter of the Association of Fund Raising Professionals named the Babkas as "Outstanding Individual Philanthropists" for all of northeastern Iowa. Their generosity and commitment to helping others epitomizes the kind of "service to community" the University hopes to instill in all students.
Dixon Cottingham was a Dubuque pioneer having emigrated from England in 1854. He and his wife had 12 children. Dixon served in the Union Army because of his strong feelings against slavery and was a Deacon in the Methodist church preaching regularly at Reed's Chapel, which was near his farm. Dixon lived to be eighty years old and in his later years he started a small insurance agency, D. Cottingham & Son out of which Cottingham and Butler eventually grew. His life is an example of - and a lesson for others in - true entrepreneurial spirit.
Eugene Siekmann (BA'35/MDiv'51)
The Rev. Dr. Eugene K. Siekmann has devoted his life to service for the church and his alma mater. He received a bachelor's degree in chemistry from the University of Dubuque in 1935 and, following graduation, earned a master of divinity degree from the University of Dubuque Theological Seminary and was ordained a minister by the Presbytery of Waterloo. In 1961, Gene was awarded an Honorary Doctor of Divinity from the University of Dubuque.
Gene served his alma mater faithfully as an admissions counselor, public relations and alumni director, assistant to the president, vice president for finance and development, and member of the Board of Trustees. In his ministry, he served churches in Minnesota, Iowa, and Arizona, and Germany.
Gene has been a tireless advocate of the University for more than 70 years. Countless alumni/ae mention him as having the greatest impact on their decision to enroll at UD. He has also influenced many individuals to make gifts for scholarships to help future generations of students realize their educational dreams.
A portion of the South Campus landscaping is a gift from the estate of Benjamin W. Fieselmann. A second generation alumnus [his father, Benjamin A. Fieselmann, was a graduate of the Class of 1910], Ben graduated with a degree in English in 1934. He studied under Anna Aitchison - for whom Aitchison Hall was named, and Herman Ficke - for whom the Ficke-Laird Library was named. He was an active member of the debate team and always had fond memories of Dr. Zuker, with whom he did his work study job - taking care of the chemistry lab. After graduating from the University of Dubuque, Ben went on to earn a law degree in 1938 from George Washington University. For 33 years he was a trust officer and head of the tax department at Winters Bank (now Bank One) in Dayton, OH. Ben maintained friendships with his Dubuque colleagues his entire life and enjoyed many class reunions.
Ben (deceased 2003) and his wife Eleanor (deceased 1998) were married for more than 50 years. They have three children - Ben, Anne, and Dan who were all present for the dedication ceremony.
University Soccer Park
The University Soccer Park - Oyen Field - is located immediately to the left of the South Campus entrance from Highway 20. The field, measuring 80 yards wide by 120 yards long, is only the second field in the Iowa Conference to have lights and natural grass turf. The field serves both as a practice and game facility for the men's and women's soccer teams. The field was completed in the spring of 2003, and dedicated on September 27, 2003. The field is named in honor of alumni/ae and donors Kevin `81 and Lynne (Miller) `78 Oyen.
Marking the entrance to South Campus is a colonnade reminiscent of the Steffens Colonnade that is a familiar Dubuque landmark in the 2000 block of University Avenue. This new Dubuque identifier - a curvilinear 17' by 75' structure - is the gift of the Conlon Construction Company.